Southern California Debt Defense Lawyers
Asserting Your Rights Against Debt Collectors
Federal law protects consumers from harassment and abusive debt collection tactics. Just because you owe money does not mean that you surrender your right to respectful, non-threatening treatment. Our firm can help you protect your rights and interests as you move forward. We know the laws designed to shield you from abusive debt collectors, and we are not afraid of asserting your rights in and out of court. If your consumer rights have been compromised by a collection agency, we can help you defend against unscrupulous debt collectors, and may even help you eliminate your debts.
Which debt collection actions are illegal?
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA, 15 U.S.C. Sections 1692 to 1692p) and other federal laws protect consumers from debt collector abuse.
Tactics forbidden by the FDCPA include:
- Contacting third parties, including your employer, friends, and coworkers
- Concealing the nature of the call and / or the identity of the collection agency
- Calling at inconvenient times
- Calling you when it should be known or is known that you have an attorney
- Contacting you on your cell phone without permission or if you have requested that this number be avoided
- Contacting you at work when it should be known or is known that your employer does not allow personal calls
- Using abusive, profane, or threatening language
- Accusing you of a crime if this is not the case
- Sending you postcards
- Publically publishing your name in connection with your unpaid bills
- Calling you repeatedly with the obvious intent to harass or annoy you
- Adding unauthorized fees or interest to your debt
- Threatening property seizure or repossession if such action is not allowed or intended
Stop the Harassment: Talk to Our Southern California Bankruptcy Lawyers
We are here to provide the aggressive help you need to stop harassing debt collectors from impacting your life. Call Wadhwani & Shanfeld today and set up a time for a free case evaluation. Our bankruptcy attorneys are here to fight for your rights.